Re: M1009 spares and tools

From: Michael J. Hill (wild800@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 11:13:52 PST

Sean,

Congrats!!! You will really like the truck!! It will go anywhere !!
Change oil/filter often. Three pack of OEM Air filter available from
Saturn Surplus. I run Fram and keep the Wix w/foam ring for real dusty
environments (Dirt roads in Sierras/Mojave). Fram Fuel filter is ok.
Bruce is correct on the seals (Pinion shaft, and transfer case shafts)
being dry from non use. I have had to do the injector pump at 105,000
miles. Have done Starter motor, I have gone to the reduction gear type
in 24 VDC, But have used a 12 VDC to get un stuck on the road after a
starter motor failure on I5 just out of Paso Robles (very easy rewire if
anyone wants to know) t I do throw belts occasionally. Replaced a fuel
pump. (have sneaking suspicion was orginal cause of start prob.) Usual
glow plug learning curve. (The 60's work fine) I use the Delco 13G as
they are Spec. I have a set of new wellmans as back up. Wait at least 2
min. between starting cycles (wait light) if using the original spec.
plugs. (allows the little fellers to cool so they won't swell as often)
I haven't bypassed the glow plug controller card as it works great.
(coldest start for me was -15 f in the rockies after sitting overnight.
It loves the desert!!(it will start in 115 F without the wait light
coming on, go figure) but does get sluggish at 10,000 plus feet . Engine
has a sweet spot around 65-70 mph( 3.08 gears) I do run injector
cleaner/cetain booster on long trips and every couple three
fillups.(Power Service is the flavor I use) I also run Group 31
commercial Batteries @ 1000 CCA (so I can weld with jumper cables and a
nickle GRIN) Hope to see you and it at Tower!!

Mike Hill EMT-1B
King Golf Six Fox Juliet Indian
MVPA 25988
MVCC