Re: Unimog insurance problems (Maine)

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 16:36:08 PST

Have you talked to Gulfway or JC Taylor or?? I'd shop around.

Progressive is a bad company IMO - to be avoided at all costs. They
customer feedback is really bad. Just do a google on "Progressive
insurance rating".

If you are only doing liability - I'd say that you should be in the no
greater than $500 range.

CDL - If Maine has adopted the Federal statutes on commercial motor
vehicles - and they follow that line - then you have to be above 26K GVW
  or hauling a trailer > 10K to get into CDL land. Air over hydraulics
brakes is nonsense. It should be irrelevant.

Be warned that if you have a CDL and you get nailed - the penalites are
tougher than if you do not have a CDL.

OH, also if they follow the CDL rules - your vehicle (MOG) would have to
pass all DOT tests to be qualified as a CDL vehicle. Does a MOG meet
all current federal vehicle standards?? You will also need your MOG
inspected by a commercial inspector and get your sticker - before you
can use your non commercial MOG to get your CDL.

Steve - all that I can say is that none of this makes any sense at all.

Dave