Re: Enigma machine on Ebay

From: Mike Davidsen (mike@aspirationsoftware.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2006 - 13:02:31 PDT

Dave Merchant wrote:

> Auction has ended - # 6265092168 .
>
> Final price, EUR 55,050, US $66,825.20
>
> About what one would have expected for such a rare piece of history.
>
> Most of them ended up in allied military hands, never to return.

A friend of mine bought one about 15 years back through an importer,
back when you could get them for a thousand or so, with the code
wheels. His was brand new, better than the one that got auctioned. His
resides in a safe deposit box, never to see light of day until he dies,
when his family will inherit a very valuable piece of history.

Then again, I know of one recently that was accidentally burned up in a
vacant house fire, that was intentionally set by the local fire
department. All I knew of it was that they said they saw a really weird
looking German typewriter in the attic, prior to them setting the fire.
Since they didn't know what it was, up in flames it went. It was only
after they described the details of the "typewriter" to my friend that
we found out what it really was. Let's just say those firefighters were
kicking themselves after they realized what it was!

Mike Davidsen
1967 Kaiser M725 ambulance