RE: Exploding paperweight costs teacher his hand

From: Hutterer, John (MPAU) (john.hutterer@smiths-medical.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 10:27:45 PDT

When I was in Vietnam, there was a twin 40mm Duster parked about 50 or
60 yards from my work area. It was on the perimeter, as a security unit.
The gunners would get bored and needed some target practice about once a
week. There was a dead tree trunk sticking up out of the forest on the
other side of the river that formed our perimeter. Our fire base was on
a plateau, with the river below us and the forest climbing the hills on
the other side. I would estimate that the range to the tree was about
1/2 mile, but it's been over 30 years, so I could be off by a bit. The
gunners got pretty good at hitting that tree trunk. They would crank off
a couple of hundred rounds of 40mm at the tree, and probably hit it
about every other round. I watched them do this for at least 3 months.
The tree never seemed to change, even with all of that ammo being pumped
into it. I asked the gunners about it one time. They said that the round
had less explosive power than a standard hand grenade and, since it
exploded on contact, it never really had a chance to penetrate the tree.
You could stand there and watch the explosions as the rounds hit the
tree, but never see any damage. Of course, I would not have wanted to be
standing next to the tree, but it does serve to illustrate how little
actual explosive power there is in a Bofors 40mm round. I will now hit
the Send key and wait for my reply from Herr Schneider.

John