Re: Lunette ring diameter

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 12:05:23 PDT

At 1:47 PM -0500 4/6/06, Sarge wrote:
>Jim, I just went out and measured 4 of my lunette eyes. Here ya go:
>M416, ID 3, OD 6.
>M101, ID 2 & 7/8, OD 6 & 1/4.
>M105, ID 3, OD 6 & 1/4.
>M832, ID 3, OD 6 & 1/4.
>Of course, the two that I tow with my deuce are the M105 and the M832.
>They look pretty much like a standard size, probably a little leeway between
>manufacturers.

Yep. Just to add gross ID's are for the size of pintle hook. Those are 2 1/2" and 3" sized hooks/rings. The Hooks being smaller than the size, but only just. I had assumed however that the M105 would have a smaller OD on the eye but apparently, it's the same. Probably for minimizing slop when towing.

I had to figure the basics of this out a few months back when I was getting my equipment trailer up and running. The previous owner had bought it and didn't realize it wasn't going to fit until he went to pick it up. The Seller made it fit on his deuce by grinding down the inside and outside of the lunette and pintle respectively. I didn't want to do this so I replaced the lunette eye plate with a new one (had to have a local welder torch off the old eye and weld it to the plate because the hole spacing was way off to start with what is sold now).

Anyhow, smaller trailers with less load will have a 3" ID and some smaller amount of cross section and OD. But still have a 3" ID on the eye. That's the size of ring you need for a deuce. Pay attention to the size of the ring with regards to weight limits. Welded on rings and such being lower capacity depending on how the rings are attached.

This thread over on Steel Soldiers shows my rig and how I set it up for the trip to FIG with the Deuce.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4647

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -