Removal of heavy tires and hubs

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 03:27:00 PDT

I made a kind of 2 pronged fork that you can slide around a tire, then lift
up on the handle to use leverage to remove/install/position a wheel. The
handle is removable for storage. Same idea as the shovel trick, but maybe
it is more stable. Then again, shovels are usually readily available.

For hubs, I made a contraption that has a vee shaped saddle to support the
hub, and the "vees" are slotted to allow you to bolt it down to the wheel
lugs. This contraption fits on the base of one of those trans jack adapters
that sets in the saddle of a floor jack, which has tilt adjustments built
in. I made this for the deuce, as I was getting over a back injury when I
was doing the repairs, but then realized that I could remove them by hand
once I was healed. I did make it in mind of getting a 5 ton someday,
although I didn't have one to validate on.