Re: Removal of heavy tires and hubs

From: Lee Houde (houdel@carrinter.net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 10:30:06 PDT

Just a thought - I bought a couple of furniture dollies from Tractor
supply for about $20 each. They are about 24" long by 18"wide x 4" high
and have 4 casters. They are made out of hardwood and rated for about
300 lbs. as I recall. They are intended for moving heavy pieces of
furniture such as filing cabinets etc. With a little ingenuity it should
be fairly simple to make up some wood supports to fit around the bottom
of the tire to hold it in place and prevent it from rolling off the
dolly. As long as you were working on a paved surface (or place a piece
of sturdy plywood under the wheel), it would be a fairly simple job to
loosen the lug nuts, jack the axle up, lower the jack just enough to
take the tire weight off the wheel studs, remove the lug nuts and roll
the dolly out to take the tire off. Pretty simple solution for a $20
investment, and they wouldn't take up very mush room to store when not
needed.