Re: Runnaway diesel HMMWV

From: SGM PANTANO (TRUKS1@msn.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 18:07:26 PDT

I had a talk with the new Shop manager of a real ARMY Maintenance Shop at
Fort Carson today..
He tells me this..
Runaway engines are quite common.. Really !! Poor mechanics are the
culprit..not enough experience on the CUCV's..
They always have a clip board nearby.. Cover the top of the intake --or the
air intake of the air filter.. Shuts them right down...
When I was a Senior NCO of a Shop -- we were told NOT to use CO2... Well --
now - they have changed position on this... You can use CO2 -- if
handy...and just a short shot.. It removes the oxygen from the intake and
kills the engine NOW. But.. If there is none... The choking off of air is
best...with something strong..or the pinched fuel line...which takes a bit
longer..but always works..
Gene