RE: M1009 Bumper Markings

From: Wayne Harris (papercu@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2006 - 16:37:47 PDT

Now the 99th Regional Readiness Command
was the 99th Regional Support Command.
 J2 should the company it was assigned to.
 The 99th Regional Readiness Command is comprised of 185 units served by more than 20,000 soldiers in Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia. Units of the 99th RSC span the spectrum of the Combat Support and Combat Service Support branches of the Army. Of the 99th's units, 41 are designated as Force Support Package units - units which will be the first called in the event of a global crisis or contingency.

The 99th Regional Readiness Command is responsible for over 200 facilities including Army Reserve Centers, Army Maintenance Support Activities, Equipment Concentration Sites, local training areas and air support facilities. The 99th is responsible for an annual budget of more than $70 million dollars.

Today's 99th RRC is rich in heritage, lineage and honors from World Wars I and II; The Korean and Vietnam Wars; Operations Urgent Fury, Just Cause; Operations Desert Shield/Storm, and Operation Joint Guard/Endeavor, the peacekeeping mission in the Balkan Republics. The 99th Regional Support Command was officially organized on April 16, 1996, becoming one of 10 regional support commands which were formerly 20 Army Reserve commands located in the United States. The 99th Headquarters in Oakdale, Pa., absorbed the then 97th and 79th Army Reserve Commands during this restructuring transition period.

The 99th's original roots began on July 23, 1918, when the unit was constituted as the 99th Division in Camp Wheeler, Ga. On June 24, 1921, it was reconstituted as the 99th (Checkerboard) Division and assigned to the Organized Reserve in Pittsburgh. The 99th assumed a Military Police mission in January 1942. Then, on April 1, 1942, it was reorganized as the 99th Infantry Division.

On November 15, 1942, the 99th was ordered to Camp Van Dorn, Miss. to conduct combat training. The 99th Infantry Division arrived in England, 10 October 1944, moved to Le Havre, France, 3 November, and proceeded to Aubel, Belgium, to prepare for combat. The Division first saw action on the 9th, taking over the defense of the sector north of the Roer River between Schmidt and Monschau. After defensive patrolling, the 99th probed the Siegfried Line against heavy resistance, 13 December. The Von Rundstedt attack caught the Division on the 16th. Although cut up and surrounded in part, the 99th held as a whole until reinforcements came. Then it drew back gradually to form defensive positions east of Elsenborn on the 19th. Here it held firmly against violent enemy attacks. From 21 December 1944 to 30 January 1945, the unit was engaged in aggressive patrolling and reequipping. It attacked toward the Monschau Forest, 1 February, mopping up and patrolling until it was relieved for training and rehabilitation, 13 February. On 2 March, 1945, the Division took the offensive, moving toward Keln and crossing the Erft Canal near Glesch. After clearing towns west of the Rhine, it crossed the river at Remagen on the 11th and continued to Linz and to the Wied. Crossing on the 23d, it pushed east on the Koln-Frankfurt highway to Giessen. Against light resistance it crossed the Dill River and pushed on to Krofdorf-Gleiberg, taking Giessen 29 March. The 99th then moved to Schwarzenau, 3 April, and attacked the southeast sector of the Ruhr pocket on the 5th. Although the enemy resisted fiercely, the Ruhr pocket collapsed with the fall of Iserlohn, 16 April. The last drive began on 23 April. The 99th crossed the Ludwig Canal against stiff resistance and established a bridgehead over the Altmuhl River, 25 April. The Danube was crossed near Eining on the 27th and the Isar at Landshut, 1 May, after a stubborn fight. The attack continued without opposition to the Inn River and Giesenhausen when VE-day came.

With the war in Europe over, the 99th conducted occupational duties until returning to America and inactivating on September 27, 1945.

Reactivated as the 99th U.S. Army Reserve Command on Dec 22, 1967, the 99th has since remained in the Army Reserve. While this reorganization of the entire Army Reserve was occurring, American involvement in Vietnam was escalating. There was no significant call-up of Reserve soldiers during Vietnam; however, units and individual soldiers of the 99th ARCOM served with distinction during the war. The 630th Transportation Company was activated on May 13, 1968, served 11 months in South Vietnam and returned home to Washington, Pa., in August 1969. While in Vietnam soldiers of the 630th earned two Purple Hearts and 14 Bronze Stars.

Units and members of the 99th were deployed to Grenada during Operation Urgent Fury in 1983 and in 1989 they were sent to Panama for Operation Just Cause.

After Iraq invaded Kuwait in August 1990, 22 99th RSC units with more than 2,000 soldiers deployed to Saudi Arabia, Europe and other locations. On February 25, 1991, during the last few hours of the Gulf War, a SCUD missile destroyed a barracks that housed members of the 99th Regional Support Command's 14th Quartermaster Detachment. In the single, most devastating attack on U.S. forces during that war, 29 soldiers died and 99 wounded. The 14th Quartermaster Detachment, from Greensburg, Pa., lost 13 soldiers and suffered 43 wounded. The 99th's involvement in operations Desert Shield and Storm ended with the demobilization of the last unit on Sept. 21, 1991.

Since 1995, nearly 1,200 99th Regional Support Command soldiers have deployed in support of operations in Bosnia. In addition to units, individual soldiers have volunteered to fill shortfalls in the active Army.

In late 2003 all Regional Support Commands were re-designated to Regional Readiness Commands.

In the 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD recommended to disestablish the HQ 99th Regional Readiness Command located at Pitt USARC, Coraopolis, PA. The DoD would instead establish a Northeast Regional Readiness Command Headquarters at Fort Dix, NJ, which, according to DoD, would further support the re-engineering and streamlining of the Command and Control structure of the Army Reserves. Wayne

mil-veh@mil-veh.org
> From: walt1903@att.net
> Subject: [MV] M1009 Bumper Markings
> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:51:49 +0000
>
> Greetings All !!!
> My latest M1009 has 99RSC on the pass side and J2 on right side
> of bumper. Any ideas what they mean ???
> Thanks...
> Bob

It's the future, it's here, and it's free: Windows Live Mail beta
http://www2.imagine-msn.com/minisites/mail/Default.aspx?locale=en-us