Re: 5 ton sprag problem

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 10:04:10 PDT

At 9:33 AM -0700 4/13/06, J wrote:
> Having a problem with a 5 ton sprag clutch. Diagnosed it all the way down to the actual sprag. Slips when it should bite in. It is not a problem in the air solenoid circuit. I have heard a rumor that one fix for this is to drain the transfer case and refill with diesel, drive 50 miles and change fluids back. This supposedly frees up sticky sprags and lets the little levers move like they should. Anybody try this?

I wouldn't drive it 50 miles that way. You'll loose a gear or three from the lack of lubrication. You can pull the sprags front and back through the top of the transfer case. They're talking about this over on Steel Soldeirs relating to a deuce. It could be that it just needs adjustment though. Check the TMs on the adjustment procedure.

> Alternatively, I have also heard that there is a kit to eliminate the sprag altogether and lets the driver engage the front end or not, as desired. Anybody know who might have offered this kit? Thanks. Jim

REB kit I think, but that might be for the deuce only. The 5 ton Sprag is Air assisted/controlled so it could be that your poppet valves are sticky and aren't throwing the linkage at the right time. Check the TMs.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -