Re: M1008 Dead Battery(s)?

From: Bruce C. Beattie (bruce@EECS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 11:21:34 PDT

Hi Brian,
    First thing I would do is go over all the ground connections. Loosen
them up, wire brush the contact surface and retorque them. Don't forget
the ground that attaches the frame to the engine.
    Same thing for the positive leads as well. Including the posts as
Dan already recomended. Don't forget the actual
connection to the starter.

    If there is a loose or dirty connection anywhere in the circuit
between the battery and the starter, it may show a good voltage,
but the minute you start pushing starter current through it it will act
like a giant resistor.

    If after you have done that and no go, do as Dan says and get the
batteries load tested.
If they are ok, then the next thing to try is the solenoid on top of the
starter. Pretty easy to dissassemble and
examine. You will find a large contact in there. If it is all pitted and
obviously the problem, you can do something
like turn it over or around to get a new surface. I don't remember
exactly what it was, but it should be obvious
when you look at it.

Remember to torque the bolts properly when you put the starter back and
don't forget the front bracket!

    Since it is attempting to start, I don't think the little relay
under the dash is the culprit, but you can always
check it if all else fails. Just pry up the tabs once you have it off,
and you can remove the cover. If the contacts
are fried, you can easily see it. But I dought if this is the problem.
Good luck, and remember to report back to the list.
Bruce MVPA 23824