I finially got my half tracks parts, apart!

From: GotaM35 (gotam35@joetrapp.com)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2006 - 10:24:39 PDT

I just completed a task that I have been working on for months and thought I
would share the results with you folks. I have learned a lot about working
with old rusty steel. And how many of us own old rusty steel?

The story begins with the removal of the passengers rear idler pulley from
my parts half track. I cut the frame of the parts vehicle and pulled the
braked that mounts to the inner frame out through the hole in the frame. I
had removed the nut from the shaft that holds the whole shabang to the
vehicle and put a 20 ton jack (capacity not weight) between the two shafts.
No luck budging the one to be removed, hence the cutting of the frame.

I brought it all home and placed the jack and a chain on the shaft. Lots of
penetrating oil and later lots of heat from two torches. still seized up
tight. I decided I would cut the bracket loose and place the bracket I
removed from the good vehicle in it's place. Of course removing the shaft
from the old bracket would be need to be done first. I decided to take it
to a machine shop and see how much they would charge me to drill it out.
They looked at it for a moment and told me it would cost too much. The old
dude with 9 fingers that appeared to run the place told me to bring the old
bracket closer. He looked at and said it was cast steel. He said if I
would take a hammer and beat the tar out of it all around the bracket, it
would stretch it out and it would pull right off. I was pleased with this
advise since my hammer is cheap and I'm even cheaper. I spent five minutes
beating the good bracket on the idler pulley and it pulled right off.

LONG LIVE THE HAMMER.

It's a shame my back went out last night and I can not lift any of this to
put the stuff on the half track and get it moving.

Joe Trapp