Re: Waste Vegtable Oil as Fuel

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 07:31:44 PDT

At 9:11 AM -0400 5/2/06, Lee Houde wrote:
>Bjorn - should I assume biodiesel DOESN'T need any special heating or other processes, i.e., it is completely interchangeable with diesel? If so, is there that much labor savings using WVO compared to converting the WVO to biodiesel? Seems like you need to jump through a lot of hoops to convert your truck to run dual fuels What happens when you forget to purge the fuel system and it gets down to zero degrees that night?

Not even zero degrees, somewhat cold, the fuel will crystalize in the fuel filter, injectors and everything else and you'll spend a lot of time applying heat trying to warm it back up again as the engine won't run or start with sluggish fuel.

>I'm not knocking what you are doing, if it works for you that is fine. But my driving is mostly shorter trips, 25 miles or less at a time and plenty of cold weather. Just trying to figure out if I'd be better off running WVO or spending the time to convert the WVO to biodiesel. -- Lee

You'd be better off cutting your fuel with biodiesel and adding an anti-gelling additive to guard against fuel gelling.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -