Unwashed biodiesel concern

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 06:08:10 PDT

I do have one concern about using unwashed biodiesel and that is the fact
that methanol starts to boil at 148 deg F.
This could be a factor in a hot climate with the sun beaming down on the
fuel tank.
I have received a couple of numbers from Kenny in Florida and Ken in TX on
the fuel temp, but those were not maximum or worst case conditions.

It could be a fire hazard.

If any of you would care to add to this, I would be most appreciative.
Just measure the fuel temp with the engine running (return fuel is hot) and
report the highest temperature with the sun hitting the tank. I suspect 150
F would not be out of question.

TIA

Bjorn