Re: M35 brakes

From: Marty Galyean (marty@heavyreckoning.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 04:29:08 PDT

Patrick Jankowiak wrote:

> I have no idea. No visible leaks, all looks well.

Visible leaks not necessary. Make sure the filler cap seals air tight
against the atmosphere as over time condensation will bring in moisture.

> Let me ask this. Does DOT5 expand when warm?

Not anywhere near significantly. Brake fluid by definition is a liquid,
which will not compress, and resists the gas/solid phases under an
extremely wide range of temperatures.

It is hydrophilic, meaning it loves to absorb water and water vapor, and
once it does, that water vapor will convert to steam when it gets hot,
and this will expand. So your system really needs to be completely free
of water and the fluid should have no contact with water and as little
contact with even humid air as possible.

I had a hydraulic cutting brake on a baja bug that I'd just purchased
that would completely lock up after a few minutes of braking and getting
hot (one reason the seller was selling). I completely drained the
fluid, refilled with new, adjusted the angle of some of the brake lines
to make getting air bubbles out easier, then refilled and bled, bled,
bled, bled. Problem went away.

Marty