Re: Radium dials on instruments

From: Marty Galyean (marty@heavyreckoning.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 20:03:53 PDT

David wrote:

> I am looking for a web site that has information about instruments
> with radium dials in regard to exposure rates, safe levels and methods
> of accurately measuring them. MV or aircraft, it does not matter as
> long as it is about radium. Does anybody have any links they can
> share?? Various web searches net too many to sort through and many
> are not specific enough about the topic of instruments.

I can tell you right now that as long as you don't inhale or ingest it
you are likely fine. The levels are fairly low and unless it is in your
tissue it just isn't close enough. The only folks I've heard of who
have had issue with radium used in instrumentation were the ladies who
would lick the little brushes when painting the tiny dots and lines with
radium laced paint. I can't remember the percentage but there was an
increased amount of mouth and/or throat cancer for those women back in
the big wars.

Marty