M715 questions

From: chuck simpson (milveh@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 09:55:12 PDT

Hello everyone,

     First I'd like to say that you guys have a great community here.
I've been subscribed for a few months now and I still cant believe the
wealth of information that everyone has on mv's. I recently came by a
M715 at a local police auction. Its very solid and has been stored in
one of the towns fire stations since they got it in the early 70's. It
was seldom used and has not been used since the early 80's Its has low
miles (around 15000 as per the spedo) and zero rust. The only problem
is no engine or transmission, it was robbed for a truck they already
had in service. My question is what type of power train to put in it.
I know since the transfer case is divorced that I could technically go
with any engine-transmission combination. I was just wondering if
anyone has done this in the past and what it consists of. I would like
to put something that is going to be reliable and as close to
bulletproof as the original. If anyone has any helpful information it
would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for a tailgate and top for it since the city has
"misplaced" them.

Thanks,
Chuck
milveh@gmail.com