Re: M211 M108 M60 ?

From: m2116x6@comcast.net
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 03:25:23 PDT

Bruce,

The M211 & it's sister the M135 (single wheel version) are great trucks. The transmission gets a bad rap that it doesn't deserve. As with ALL automatic transmissions, if it sits, the seals dry out and it may not work. That same basic trans was used in buses, trucks and construction equipment. It's a large, heavy duty hydramatic. Rebuilt units are available from Memphis Equipment Co. Been there, done that myself about 10 years ago. Been fine ever since.

Memphis and other dealers have just about all parts. The motor is a modified civilian 302 Gas engine. The distributor and oil pump are in different positions on the military version. Many engine parts are available from auto stores. Memphis has rebuilt engines if needed. Been there, done that last fall.

To replace the ring gear, you will need to slide the trans back or remove it. Or, remove the power package as a unit. It isn't that bad to do.

The wheels are the same 9:00 x 20 as used on the M35.

Jim
'52 M211
'56 M221

From: "Bruce C. Beattie" <