Re: Flying military vehicles

From: Jim Webster (james.webster@iomartdsl.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2006 - 02:54:05 PDT

Steve & Jeanne Keith wrote:
> The US made Skyhawks kicked the sheet out of the Brits. The
> Brit commander stated that if 1/2 of the bombs that had hit his
> ships had gone off, he would have had to withdraw his forces!

I severely doubt the US Navy would have done any better with the
resources that we had available. Anyway the Skyhawk losses were very
high - they lost 22 of 46 aircraft. Incredibly brave pilots flying
through the hail of fire between the ships. I remember watching them
from the 'Great White Whale' trying to skip the bombs into the sides of
the ships and all I could think was 'omigod' endlessly. Once a Seawolf
locked onto them they had virtually had it though...

You also have to remember that we sank/damaged a lot of Argentinian
ships as well..

> The Argentine pilots were atacking soo low that many of the bombs
> failed to arm.

You ain't kidding - seven ships hit by UXB's.

> The Mirage's could launch the Exocet missiles at the max range
> of the Harriers so that Harriers could not protect the ship adequately
> because they could not stay on station to intercept the Mirages
> before they launched the Exocets.

They did launch them at maximum range - that is why they only got two
hits. The third Exocet hit was from a land based launch.

--
TTFN
Jim

'Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vicendarum!'