Re: halftrack questions

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 06:53:03 PDT

Chuck,

I would keep the M16 Halftrack and put money into it.

But make your decision on your position.

Can you replace the valve guides and valves on the M16... or do an engine rebuild? A
good rebuild may cost $3,000-4,000. Add to that front tires (maybe $1,000), rear
tracks ($6,000 or more) and the quad mount with replica MG's $20,000-30,000 (maybe a
$100,000 with real MG's). Sounds like another $5,000-10,000 for all of the other
"things" we need to "complete" a vehicle. Cannot compare the fuel tanks as they will
need to be replaced in either vehicle eventually. If the fuel tanks are original, I
assume E85 fuel will be hard on them.

The M16 (or M16A1) is the "top of the line" as a collectible Half Track Vehicle unless
you can find one of the models that mounted a cannon.

On the other hand, the M3A1 would get you into a running halftrack quickly. Repro rear
armor might be $10,000-12,000 if you want to replace what is there. Good replica MG's
perhaps another $6,000-9,000 (or more). And again the $5,000-10,000 for all of the
other "things" we need to "complete" a vehicle.

The M3A1 can carry people. The M16A1 can carry a gun mount an a few people.

Hobby or obsession?

Claude.