Saint Jude

From: timothy.smith1@att.net
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 21:39:08 PDT

Saint Jude should be my patron saint. Essentially, he is the patron saint of lost causes. "Lost cause" not only describes ME, but also describes some of the mil vehicles that I bring home.

Today I went to a scrap yard to save some pallets of ammo cans from the shredder. I backed my truck into the loading area and when I stopped and returned my attention to the front, I found I was looking straight at what turned out to be a forlorn little early production GPW peering from between two mountains of scrap steel.

Well, well, WELL! I scampered off to the office and made inquiries. It seems one of the big Kahunas there had set it aside with plans to "do something with it" but as with many other goodies residing in the dark recesses of scrap yards, nothing EVER got done with it. Being the kind-hearted fellow that I am (and relieved that I would not be having to bring home yet ANOTHER derelict HMV) I told him that I could get him hooked up with the right people and that anything he could possibly need for his jeep could be obtained with a credit card and a telephone and the rest was just hours of love, heartache and labor.

What happened next was not what I expected. They guy says, "Aw, just take it.." "HUH!?", I responded incredulously. "No WAY!" I guess in a moment of candor, he realized that the GPW was just too much of a project for him to handle and he'd never get the around to it. Well, call me nuts, but I countered by offering to take it home, clear away all the wreckage and civilian add-ons and give him an assessment as to what he would have to do to get it going again and looking right because frankly, I need ANOTHER jeep like I need a hole in the head! In the final analysis, I fully expect that he'll offer it to me for little or no money after seeing what it will take to bring it around. He and I are on pretty good terms. On the other hand, if he decides he wants if back, I'll be relieved to have one less project around here and it will be a pleasure to see the little GPW looking just a bit more like it should.

So, tomorrow, my partner will be driving down and picking it up. I hope to get some pics of the sad little thing before it gets recovered. But for now, another jeep has been rescued (however briefly) from eventual destruction. I can't wait to uncover the serial number (data plates are gone) and begin finding out what we've got.

Regards,
TJ