Alternator Replacement

From: mkmvpa (mkmvpa@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 15:12:38 PDT

Has anyone ever tried an internally regulated alternator on an M880? If so
how did it work? I am having some anomalies with the externally regulated
alternators I have installed on my 880 with an excessive voltage drop in the
number 2 connection of the electronic ignition unit with both field wires of
the alternaor installed. If I remove either of the wires while the engine is
off, I have normal voltage on the number 2 connector however the alternator
doesn't charge and will not full field when the regulator is bypassed. Both
alternators have trested as good and one is even brand new. I thought
perhaps there was a wiring issue somewhere else but discovered this
occurance with the field wires by accident. Thought of maybe trying a
different style alternator like a Chevy or Ford of the same amperage that
was internally regulated.

Thank You,
Robert
MVPA#23437