Re: antifreeze

From: Edward Greeley (etgreeley@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 22:04:11 PDT

Excuse me for butting in, but...

"Back in the day", anti-freeze certainly WAS flammable. Prior to WW-II
and for a few years after, ethylene glycol was relatively expensive and
relatively scarce. Methyl alcohol (or was it denatured ethyl alcohol?)
was very commonly packaged and sold as automotive anti-freeze. In either
case, the uncut alcohol certainly would burn. Many unenlightened
old-timers don't understand the difference between glycol and alcohol,
hence the confusion about the flammability of "anti-freeze."

Among the drawbacks to the use of alcohol as anti-freeze was the fact
that it would boil away and needed to be replenished periodically. Woe
be unto the one who forgot to check the gravity of the alcohol-water mix
anti-freeze before a cold snap. That was a common cause of busted blocks
and/or popped core hole plugs "back in the day." Been there, done that.

Just an olde phart who remembers...