Re: MV movie question..... Bomber crashed in the desert? Name?

From: Jeff (jcerniglia@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2006 - 16:23:53 PDT

The Movie you are talking about was I believe a
twilight zone episode. The plane they used was a B-25
instead of a B-24. This was taken from a true story of
a B-24 named "The Lady be Good". Her crew got lost
over the Lybian desert after over shooting their home
base by like 500 miles. The crew all bailed out unlike
the movie they made where the belly landed. The crew
of the Lady be Good bailed out while the plane kept
flying straight on with nobody on board. The plane
made a perfect belly landing on it's own after it ran
out of fuel. The crew thought they were short of their
base and over water so they neglected to take all
their rations of water when the bailed out. Years
later when the plane was found the canteens on board
still were full of water. If they had taken all the
water with them when they bailed there is some
controversy that they could of walked out of the
desert that they died trying to do. Sad story of
needless lives lost during WW2. By the way, pieces of
this very plane can be seen at the Air Force Museum in
Dayton Ohio. The rest of the plabe still exists but
was confiscated years ago by the libyan government.

Jeff