Military Vehicles, June 1996,: Re: Ex-Military Land Rovers

Re: Ex-Military Land Rovers

Steven Malikoff (steven@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 08:39:25 +1000 (EST)

Gerry said:
> < Nice to have you aboard Kim. If we're going to compete on crazy then
> maybe I should tell you I took my Dodge WC51 (1943) to Normandy and
> back in 1994 - Gerry >

A few members of our club 'WW2 JEEPS NSW' last year took part in the 'Back
to the Track' anniversary. This event commemorated the building of the
supply link from Adelaide through Alice Springs and on to Darwin by the
americans during the war. The yanks didn't muck around but literally
bulldozed a track thousands of miles long through the harshest and most
inhospitable terrain in Oz - the outback.
The recreation involved a convoy of WW2 and some post-WW2 vehicles
including jeeps (even a GPA!!!), trucks (Dodges, Blitzes, Studies etc)
and some military landies driving along the same route, after being loaded
onto a flat-car from Adelaide to Alice Springs then driving the rest of the
way to Darwin. Some of our club members decided to do it a little differently
by driving from Sydney directly to Alice to rendezvous with the convoy, then a
side trip to Ayers Rock, then head back home to Sydney. This alone took them
5 weeks to do (vehicles doing this trip were a '42 GPW, '43 GPW and a '44 GPW)
covering 5500 miles over sand dunes, abysmal tracks, dust, dust and more fine
red dust that gets into everything. They only had a few minor problems with
the jeeps in that time, a blown front oil line being the most major one. At
each night's campsite they had a roaring 20ft campfire, and quite often didn't
see anyone else for days. All the vehicles returned without needing any
repairs.

Steve.