Military Vehicles, July 1996,: Re: Mil-Veh (ARO 4x4)

Re: Mil-Veh (ARO 4x4)

Daniel Terp (dterp@blue.planet.net)
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 21:11:42 UNDEFINED

In article Andy Purser <apurs@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> I was wondering if anyone knows about a vehicle called an ARO built in
>Romania. I have found one for sale in the US for $3750.00 (US) with 17K
>actual miles. It is reported to have Ford running gear and engine. It
>appears to be civilian but I thought the Military of some European country
>may use it. Also, it is reported to be marketed on the West coast here in
>the US ( I am on the East Coast-NC). I am considering a purchase if anyone
>has information good or bad please let me know. You can E-mail me direct if
>it is a civilian only vehicle so we won't bother others.
>Thanks in advance,
>Andy Purser
>apurs@worldnet.att.net

If it's what I think it is, I saw one at the NYC auto show in the early
seventies (1972). It was an attempt to sell their military M461 4x4 as a
jeep alternative. They marketed it under the slogan "the wild romanian" but it
looked like an old style army truck, shrunk down and painted tan.

They're own advertising said it had "the charm of a tank"

It had a 4 cyl, 77hp engine and a top speed of 65mph. It came standard with a
steel body and removable canvas top.

It was cheap, under $3,200, but The mechanicals were pretty primitive, and
parts were unavailable, so like the Yugo, it passed on. There was no way it
would have stood the emissions testing that was to come anyway.

It was imported by East Europe Import Inc, in NYC. I doubt they're still in
business, but if they are they might give you more info.

Dan