Military Vehicles, July 1996,: Re: Alvis Stalwart

Re: Alvis Stalwart

Andy Dingley (dingbat@codesmth.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 00:22:03 GMT

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:56:47 UNDEFINED, you wrote:

>I would be curious as to what the Military manuals recommend for long distance
>transport of these vehicles. How do they haul them overland, on a trailer like
>a tank?

A Stollie is meant to _be_ long range transport. You just get in and
drive it, and don't let anything stop you.

Top speed in a Stollie is around 40mph, limited by the engine rpm
limiter at 4000rpm and poor cornering at speed. Brakes, unlike the
other 600 series chassis, are pretty good. You can lock all wheels on
a fully-loaded Stollie at top speed on tarmac and make a pretty
impressive smoke trail from the wheels, both brakes and rubber.

Civilian owners tend to trailer them around, but that's more to do
with the 4 miles per gallon fuel consumption ($4 gallon). With a 100
gallon tank, there's still no shortage of range.

--
If they privatise the Royal Mail,
who gets the Craig Shergold franchise ?