Military Vehicles, August 1996,: Re: full vs semi floating axles

Re: full vs semi floating axles

Gerry Davison (gerry@login.dknet.dk)
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 07:34:18 +0100 (MET)

In message Tue, 20 Aug 1996 09:58:54 -0700,
gpool@pacific.net (Granville Pool) writes:

> To me, in my off-roading in the back of beyond, a more compelling
> advantage of full-floaters is that if (or, in my case, with a
> 10-spline-axled Land-Rover, *when*) I break an axle, my wheel won't fall
> off and I can still drive home on front-wheel drive.

Glad you said *when* Granville.
I have had two LR, an SWB and an LWB. I have broken at least 3 rear axles on
the SWB, all of them on the shortest of the two (the one on the right as
you look at the vehicle from the rear). I suppose that the longer of the
two has just enough more torsion elasticity more than the shorter of them
to save it. On the LWB, I haven't broken any. The SWB was petrol with a
greater torque than the diesel of the LWB. Seems to me that
the rear axles are designed just a little too close in tolerance to break
point.........Or is it a problem that all floating axle vehicles encounter??

regards
Gerry