Military Vehicles, September 1996,: Re: Pierced Steel Planking

Re: Pierced Steel Planking

MRS LISA W KELLY (DCPD62A@prodigy.com)
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 20:47:13, -0500

-- [ From: Lisa Wozniak * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

PSP - Pierced Steel Planking and PAP- Pierced Aluminum Planking were
both used in WWII for runways as well (quick and easy Airfield stability
). Also used for spanning wash outs and in muddy conditions.

It is not readily available in U.S. but Peter (my other half) says he
has heard of it for sail somewhere in the MidWest, they still use in
some oil drilling platforms. Peter has a few type a (WWII) that he
brought back from Holland with his duece, but he's not willing to part
with them!

> Date: Sunday, 08-Sep-96 08:35 AM
>
> From: (Unlisted Name) \ Internet:
> (ralph@smuggits.mhs.compuserve.co)
> To: Christopher A. Glaves \ Internet: (cglaves@netcom.com)
> cc: MILVEH LIST \ Internet: (mil-veh@skylee.com)
>
> Subject: Re: Pierced Steel Planking
>
> Chris,
>

> Pieced steel (sometimes called sommerfield) planking is used by
various people
> (including the military) to provide a stable base for passage of
people and
> vehicles across soft terrain. It is visually similar (poss. identical
) to the
> type seen on the camel trophy vehicles, however I suspect that is
alluminium.
> It is possible to get this stuff cheaply in the UK, however the
aluminium
> stuff is more expensive (about 5x.)
>

> As for availabilty in the states, I don't know, however I think K & J
Slavins