Military Vehicles, September 1996,: Re: Info wanted on Dodge M37 3/4 ton trucks

Re: Info wanted on Dodge M37 3/4 ton trucks

Chuck Chriss (Chuck_Chriss@qx.com)
17 Sep 96 8:12:22

Steve's advice is very good, agrees with my experience. The M37 is geared so
low that you won't enjoy it for street driving. You can start uphill in second
gear. It is hard to steer w/o the PS conversion and definitely needs stronger
brakes at about 8000# weight. However, MARS and others have higher gears to
swap in the diffs (4.89 I think) or you can buy rebuilt diffs with the gears in
place. As Steve says, there are many ways to upgrade steering and brakes with
standard parts. Look in Military Vehicles or Supply Line for regular ads.

Also there are two models. The early 50s was the M37 and about 8 years later
there was a series called M37B1. There are a few improvements on the B1, the
spare is moved to the door mount instead of the bed mount, but I hear the B1 is
more prone to rust due to change in sheet metal alloy. There are both hard top
and soft top available, interchangable with a little work. There is a
mechanical PTO for winch which is very strong if all parts in good shape.
Rebuilt take off winches also available.

Gas economy is very poor with the std engine and gears, maybe 10-12 mpg.
Diesel helps that too, but not enough to pay for the conversion (no free lunch).

In general, there are most parts for M37 in good supply all over the world.
You can usually get NOS or good condition take offs for almost anything you
need. Repro canvas is also available from several sources. If you want to
spend serious money, there is even a Hercules diesel engine conversion
available from MARS which will solve all engine problems and make it a much
more civilized truck, but will probably cost US$10,000 by the time you are done.

Military tires on the M37 have very poor traction on wet pavement so be careful
if using on highway.

In general, the M37 is one of the toughest and most usable military trucks ever
built. Only the Hummv may be superior (maybe). It will last forever, or as an
old friend motor sarge who maintained them in Korea told me "You can't kill it".

I can provide more detail of names, addresses etc. for parts and all. I also
have an original set of manuals. Portrayal Press has repro manuals plus other
books and videos. All my magazines and stuff are at another location so when I
write email it is not available to me. Write again if you want more info.

Hope this helps,
chuck