Military Vehicles, November 1996,: commercial driver license

commercial driver license

Gale Barrows (
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 21:30:07 -0700 (MST)

>David DeChambeau wrote:
>> > Thanks to everyone for the leads on a 2 1/2 or 5 ton 6x6. I am still
looking for one, built in the early 70's.
>Also, does any one have thoughts on Virginia state vehicle registration?
>I have called the DMV on several occasions and received dissimiliar
>answers each time on CDL requirement, safety inspections, etc?
> Thanks, David
If you are worried about the CDL (commercial driver license) stay with the 2
1/2 ton trucks as no CDL is required for them. The CDL is a federaly
mandated license issued by the individual states. all states comply with
federal requirements as to who must have a CDL. The federaly mandated
requirement for a CDL is that a CDL shall be required for a driver of any
vehicle (other than a rented truck used for personal purposes, or a motor
home or similar recreational vehicle) with a gross weight ***rating*** of
26,001 or more pounds. This rating is determined by the manufacturers data
plate found in or on the cab of the truck. Since a 2 1/2 ton US GI truck is
rated by Uncle Sam and so stated on the data plate at a maximum allowable
weight of less than that, ***NO CDL is REQUIRED*** for operation of such a
vehicle *** unless*** pulling a trailer of such GVWR that the total Combined
Vehicle Weight Rating (CVWR) is over 26,000 pounds. It makes no difference
that weight laws allow a 2 1/2 ton truck to carry more than 26,000 pounds
legaly. What does matter is that data plate on the dash of the 2 1/2 ton or
other truck.

This info was supplied to me both by the state of South Dakota and the
US Department of Transportation. Both were in agreement.