Military Vehicles, November 1996,: Re: horror stories

Re: horror stories

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@pi.net)
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 23:02:25 +0100

Andrew Beebe wrote:

> ----------
> > From: William C. Beilschmidt <bbeilschmidt@worldnet.att.net>
> > To: mil-veh@skylee.com
> > Subject: horror stories
> > Date: Wednesday, November 13, 1996 3:30 AM
> >
> > In my travels around the web in search of information about military
> > vehicles, i've encountered numerous horror stories about what happens to
> > such vehicles when they're sold at government auctions. I've heard of
> > poor, innocent trucks,(excuse me, i'm a sensitive person), being chopped
> > up into little pieces and crushed by heavy mechinery all in the name of
> > something called the "demilitarization process". How then do fortunate
> > trucks such as mine escape this violent, brutal death and wind up in the
> > hands of caring civilians? Wolf
>
> Certain vehicles, such as the M151, are considered unsafe to drive on
> highways. In the case of the M151, it's because the independant suspension
> makes them very unstable in turns. The government doesn't have a problem
> with military members driving "unsafe" vehicles, but in attempt to protect
> the innocent public, and possibly prevent a major lawsuit, all M151's are
> "demilitarized" before sale to the general public.
>
> The M151 was originally "demilitarized" by cutting it in half. When the
> government found out that people were just welding the two halves back
> together, they decided to cut them into four pieces. Because the major
> problem with the M151 is with the independant suspension, they are now
> cutting the suspensions also. There has been a number of orginizations, the
> Military Vehicle Preservation Association for one, that has been leading a
> campaign to try and stop the "demilitarization" of certain vehicles on the
> basis of historic preservation. The same way people have been trying to
> stop the government from using old tanks to create artificial reefs in our
> oceans.
>
> Most military vehicles are standard production line cars and trucks that
> meet all federal saftey specs, so when sold don't need any
> "demilitarization." The cars, pick-ups and heavy trucks for example. They
> are commonly sold at auctions comlete and running. The only vehicles
> destroyed before sale are ones that specifically haven't met U.S. DOT
> saftey regs.
>
> The latest outrage from the government in regards to the M151, is the rumor
> that they are thinking of "confiscating" 151's that are in one peice, in
> the name of safety.
>
> Andy

Andy,

There are 250!! M-151-A1's and A2's for sale somewhere in Germany.
Someone I know has recently bought two, they were all in one piece,
I even drove one, they cost approx. $6500, and are very complete
incl. canvas etc. engine runs etc.etc. Some M-151's are even
declared road-legal overhere in Holland. Maybe someone could ship
a few to the US and see what happens, the A-2 version seems to
be safe anyway.

Auke