Military Vehicles, December 1996,: Re: Transporting/shipping Vehicles

Re: Transporting/shipping Vehicles

indio@holly.colostate.edu
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 08:58:49 -0700 (MST)

>>To: mil-veh@skylee
>>From: barrowsg@rapidnet.com (Gale Barrows)
>>Subject: Re: Transporting/shipping Vehicles

>somebody
>trailer
>about
>>>
>>>Soren,
>>>
>>Another alternative is to rent a U-Haul truck for a oneway trip from the
>M37"s location to your location. Load the M37 inside the closed van body.
>Just do not tell U-Haul what you arevhauling, just say you are hauling
>household goods.

Several years ago I rented a good size U-Haul truck to move from Chicago to
Colorado. After loading and hooking my CJ-7 to the back, I realized that
there was enough room to considered driving my Kaiser CJ-5 right inside the
tail end. After measurement of width, height, and angle of entry there is
certainly enough room for a vehicle of this size. Unfortunatly the tailend
is too low for a loading dock, and yet high enough to require some kind of
ramp. As I was in a hurry I ended up nixing the idea - but it could be a
great way to haul a smaller vehicle protected from the elements, or haul two
vehicles by towing one on the tail end. The two things to consider are
getting the vehicle in the U-Haul and securing it in place during transport.
I was also worried about the jeep wheels breaking through the wooden
floorboards, but they seemed fairly strong.

| |
| That which does not kill |
| you makes you stronger |