Military Vehicles, December 1996,: Re: "Illegal" MVs

Re: "Illegal" MVs

Hanno Spoelstra (H.L.Spoelstra@wbmt.tudelft.nl)
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 16:31:31 +0100

At 06:23 AM 12/24/96 -0800, you wrote:

>I can't agree with you more about the Hummers. Seems like another
>excellent case of the US government wasting taxpayer money. Only the
>government would mutilate Hummers that, given the demand for these,
>could easily be sold for close to their purchase price. Once again
>government at work.
>Oh, well
>Have a happy holiday.
>Rick

Of course the Hummer has its uses, also in civilian hands - so much that
indeed they could easily be sold for close to their mega-order discount
purchase price. But I still can't see how it is to replace the runabout
jeep-type vehicle in many applications - and not only in peace time. History
has learned us that civilian designs can be put to work during wartime with
great effect: remember the "Dakota/Gooneybird" and the 2.5-ton "Jimmy" of WW-2?
Anyhow, we should remember that the Hummer was designed to fulfill a great
many number of roles - cost was not real determining factor, let alone
possible resale revenue. Want a tax refund? Buy a Hummer!

Have a Merry Christmas, indeed!
Hanno Spoelstra <H.L.Spoelstra@WbMt.TUDelft.NL>
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands