Military Vehicles, December 1996,: RE: "Illegal" MVs

RE: "Illegal" MVs

Mark Richardson (aw398@yfn.ysu.edu)
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 09:49:34 -0800

I have been following the discussion on the stolen vehicles and have
something to add. I am in the military (US Army) and I was stationed
in Germany for 8 years until July of this year. I was there when the
vehicles started to be stolen in large numbers. From the PAO and CID
fliers that where posted and the security measures we where made to
put into effect it appeared to be a well organized group that where
stealing the vehicles. Note I said vehicles, I do not believe it was
700 HMMWV's that where stolen. I can remember M1009 (Chevy Blazers),
M1008/M1008A1 (Check pickups), M998 HMMWV, 2 1/2 T Trucks, 5 T Trucks,
Tractor Trailers ect.... and most where stolen from the storage areas.
The talk was they where being taken to former Eastern bloc countries and
collectors. There where TV commercials on AFN (Armed Forces Network) about
the thefts and fliers posted in public places on post warning of the
problem. There where security measures taken, I know at my level no
tactical vehicle could be left out over night in the parking area by
our office on a "open" post in Nuernberg. All tactical vehicles where
required to be locked in the motor pool if not being used. Our HMMWV's
when in use where locked with a steel cable around the steering wheel
and a series 2000 lock (A harden pad lock). This lock could be cut with
standard bolt cutters, we did when the keys where misplaced or lost.
If someone really wanted to steal a vehicle, they could. I never knew
of a unit in our area that had a vehicle stole, but "heard" of units
that lost vehicles. The military did increase security, but at the
same time we had a mission to do.

Mark

At 10:08 AM 12/24/96, you wrote:
>700 HMMWVs missing sounds more like an accounting error than theft.
>
>chuck

>What about the 700 Hummers that allegedly "disappeared" from a US Army
>base in Germany this summer? It was in the tv-news here although no
>details were given, and since then we've heard nothing at all. But someone,
>somewhere, will be lurking around and digging up the dirt. Anybody on the
>list heard anything about that since?
>
>Gerry Davison - Denmark - Europe.

Mark Richardson
mailto: aw398@yfn.ysu.edu