Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Re: wtd: Budge story

Re: wtd: Budge story

Douglas Greville (dgreville@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Thu, 02 Jan 1997 20:59:10 +0930

FIREBASEZ@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know the story of the Budge collection of MV's. How did they
> aqquire such a large and diverse collection? What has become of the vehicles?
> I have only caught bits and pieces of the story, but it sounds facsinating.
> Byron

Byron

It is a long and complicated story, but basically (I have generalised in
the following quick history):

Tony Budge is a very wealthy Earthmoving Contractor (primarily) who got
interested in tanks after initially having bought what he thought was
a WW2 Jeep, this turned out to be a 1960's French Jeep. He was
disappointed, not long after saw someone advertising Sherman Tanks, he
was not
aware that it was possible to own a tank in England and once he
discovered that it
was things started happening. The collection was not normally on public
display, but rather,every so often a public day was held, which
attracted good sized crowds. He had some very nice vehicles with
virtually everything in the collection
being fully restored and driveable. Of note were the English WW2 Tanks
which although
rarely heard of in America played a significant part in the war, such
vehicles as Comet, Valentine, Cromwell, Matilda and Vickers (light) are
quite possibly rarer than there well known Panzer opponents.

The 'wheels fell off' the whole set up when Budge was publically listed
(this included the Military Vehicle collection) on the stock exchange.
Subsequently Tony Budge managed to buy back a lot of his former
collection but he did miss out on some vehicles.

The Budge company still exists to my knowledge as does the A F Budge
Sales, which you will see mentioned on this list and also advertising
in "Wheels and Tracks".

As far as the collection goes, one of the lists' English subscribers
might be able to help with some up to date info?

The BBC (English one not the U.S. one) did a feature film on the him and
the collection several years back: it is well worth getting. The only
way you will
probably get a copy of it is to get in contact with the BBC in London
(try looking for a web site) it is called
-"Making Tracks" the Budge Story-.
Remember that Australian/English video PAL format is not the same as
NTSC format, you will need a multi format VCR or to be able to purchase
the tape in NTSC in order to watch it in the US. Also make sure you get
a quote
on the postage cost it should be ~ 2 Pounds Sterling but be wary!

I hav generalised a lot in the above, the info coming basically from the
video
and what I have learnt from various people wilst at Normandy 94.