Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Budd / Fruehauf address wtd. (was: M151-series body drawings,

Budd / Fruehauf address wtd. (was: M151-series body drawings,

Hanno Spoelstra (H.L.Spoelstra@wbmt.tudelft.nl)
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 18:29:32 +0100

Gale Barrows wrote:
>Budd, the wheel makers, address unknown, was a primary body manufacturer for
>the M151 series. I have seen Ford, Kaiser Jeep, and AM General makers plates
>on bodies with the Budd plate. They might have info on the dimensions. I
>would also bet that there is a maintainance manual somewhere (a manual
>covering body repair would be most likely) that has the info. Of cpourse,
>the best way is to borow an uncut vehicle you cn take measurements from., If
>you can find cut bodies, a jig could easily be made useing an uncut truck as
>a pattern. And all that woukld be needed would be a 4 point jig for bodies
>cut into two pieces and a six point jig for bodies cut into 4 pieces. I have
>troubles getting in my size 12 feet in and out of M151's with either the
>soft or hard doors inmplace. If a front and rear half could be found with
>the combined length longer through the door area of an uncut vehicle, the
>sections could be assembled a few inches longer in the door area.

Lengthening the body by two or three inches certainly sounds like a good
idea (I've got size 12, too).

I've read that when Ford started quantity production of the M151 in 1960 (at
the Highland Park factory in Michigan), the bodies for them were built by
Fruehauf.
Can anyone supply me with either Fruehauf and /or Budd addresses (or point
me in their direction)?

Thanks,

Hanno Spoelstra <H.L.Spoelstra@WbMt.TUDelft.NL>
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands