Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Budge story/ present location of ex-Budge exhibits

Budge story/ present location of ex-Budge exhibits

Hanno Spoelstra (H.L.Spoelstra@wbmt.tudelft.nl)
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 00:23:53 +0100

At 08:59 PM 1/2/97 +0930, you wrote:
>It is a long and complicated story, but basically (I have generalised in
>the following quick history):
[snip]
>The 'wheels fell off' the whole set up when Budge was publically listed
>(this included the Military Vehicle collection) on the stock exchange.

What I heard from a British friend is that Budge bought the vehicles
privately and then sold them to the A.F. Budge Military company for many
times the original purchase price. On the basis of these "values" he was
able to borrow money at the bank. At one time, the "wrong" list with the
original purchase prices was inadvertedly sent to the bank manager, who was,
as they say in Britain, "not amused". He then called his friends Mr.
Receiver and Mr. Foreclosure.

>As far as the collection goes, one of the lists' English subscribers might be
>able to help with some up to date info?

I know of the following Sherman related AFVs:

- Sexton II (25pdr SP Gun, Tracked) S-223813/ AFB no.2
went to the Canadian War Museum, OTTAWA, Ont., CDN

- M10 (17pdr SP AT Gun)/ AFB no.80; and
- M10 (3in GMC)/ "USA 305247"/ CSV150/ AFB no.81 (ex-Peter Gray)
destination uncertain, believed to have gone to Alan Cors, NOKESVILLE, USA

- M3 Grant I / T 24656/ AFB no.253
went to Jacques Littlefield, PORTOLA VALLEY, CA, USA

I'd be interested in any more info on the present location on these and any
other ex-Budge Sherman tank and/or related AFV.

Hanno Spoelstra
SHERMAN REGISTER
P.O. Box 14
NL - 2060 AA BLOEMNDAAL
The Netherlands

P.S.: the Budge Churchill tank went to the Patton Museum at FORT KNOX, KY, USA.
Hanno Spoelstra <H.L.Spoelstra@WbMt.TUDelft.NL>
Bloemendaal, The Netherlands