Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Re: Any U.S. Importers

Re: Any U.S. Importers

cat@methow.com
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 13:57:25 -0830

At 9:43 AM 1/11/97, BUTLERPT@orau.gov wrote:
>I found the US Customs Guide to Importing at the following url:
>
>http://sys1.tpusa.com/dir01/imprtgui
>
>It has the following under Special Requirements Chapter 29
>
>9. Arms, Ammunition, Explosives, and Implements of War. These items are
>prohibited importation except when a license is issued by the Bureau of
>Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
.......snip......
>Not to be negative but they might consider a tank an "Implement of War"

We imported a Ferret out of Canada last year. It was shipped out by rail.
We went up with a Freightliner and a lowboy trailer to pick it up.. coming
back down to the US we had to pass through customs. My husband pulled over
and went in with the paperwork.. The Agent had a snide look on his face and
said "Well, just what do we have here?". (Now to get a complete picture..
My husband looked pretty scruffy that day.. Wearing camo pants, Army field
jacket and a hat that had a NRA crest on the front.. Bushy beard, - you
get the picture..)

Dennis politely told the agent that he had all the paperwork on our cargo
and put the file down in front of the Agent... Still with a snide look he
read the cover sheet then lifted up to look at page two, which was the BATF
permit..

With a supprised look on his face, he gave us back the papers and said that
was all he had to see... They had more authority than he did... Then he got
real friendly and came out with us to have an unofficial look at it.. He
climbed up on the trailer and we invited him to get inside ... he was like
any other little boy playing with a new toy......

This last November we repeated the import game and brought in a M-432 from
England.. It came in on a cargo ship to Tacoma, Wa.. It was one of the
vehicles stranded on Snoqualmie Pass during the blizzard the first of
December....

The long and the short of this story is..... Yes Guys... If you want to
import military vehicles... You gotta have the permits... But it's not hard
if you don't have a criminal record to get in the way and foul it all up
for you..

Can you blame them for wanting to know "who has all the guns"..
/\
/ \
--- ---
Cat & Dennis Buchholz