Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Re: MB GPW air cleaners

Re: MB GPW air cleaners

john edwards (ozjeep@hutch.com.au)
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 21:02:25 -0800

ron fitzpatrick wrote:

> I'm restoring a 4-9-42 Ford GPW Script, my question is about the air
> cleaner, I have 3 different ones.
> 1. w/o any writting at all
> 2. w/ a plate tack welded to the air cleaner, w/raised lettering
> 3. w/ the writting raised on the air cleaner (the most common one).
>
> Thanx
>
> Ron Fitzpatrick
> rfitzpatrick@telis.org

Hi Ron,

John from Sydney Australia here.

I've been a bit pre occupied with another jeep matter in the past few
days, and now can get around to you. I hope I can help.

I have found that certain later models bits & pieces don't fit. eg air
cleaner and spare glovebox lids! Going from the Willys parts book, early
Willys' (pre 24,308) had the A.C Spark Plug Air Cleaner. The latter
models had the Oakes Air Cleaner (the normal one).

Are all of these air cleaners of yours the same size/dimensions?

What I have found on my March 1942 script is that the normal Oakes -
Houdaille Aircleaner does not match up nicely with its mounting brackets
& screws. The jeep early bodies are slightly different, so when it came
to mine, things just didn't match up right. Mine had a few late war
parts put on it. I can see that you probably have other variants of A/C
units with you but do you have a stubby, rounded, Dodge type air
cleaner. Other guys out there could prove or disprove this fact.

What it looked like was similar to a Dodge a/c. It had one air horn
coming out of the A/c with a wing bolt thru it, then some
interconnecting rubber & a tube, all connecting to another horn on the
carb. It looks pretty ugly, but I believe this may be what you should be
looking for.

If you need a photo or a comparison between the two, I can arrange it.
The AC Spark Plug Air Cleaner I currently have just acquired isn't
complete but whne compared to the latter one you'll see the difference.

Regards,

John E.