Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: M38A1 hard Starting

Re: M38A1 hard Starting

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 18:27:33 -0800

G. Kein wrote:

> Hi all,
> I recently purchased a un-restored 1955 M38A1. Even though it is
> un-restored, It's in verry good shape. The only ad on's are 24 volt
> directional signals, a pinicle front tow bar and warn overdrive.
> The only problem I am having is it is rather difficult to start. The
> starter drags and turns over slow and reluctantly. It has new batteries,
> the voltage regulator is putting out 26.5 volts. I put on a new distributor
> cap, rotor and spark plugs.
> Being a newbee and not very mechanical I could sure use some advice.
>
> thanks,
> Jerry Kein

The first thing I would check is that the Battery, and the starter have
a good clean ground. If it has been sitting it could be corroded. I
can't tell you how many times a hard starting problem is really a bad
ground problem.

hope this works

Tony Standefer
1944 Willys