Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: Lug nuts

Re: Lug nuts

Tony Standefer (WillysJeep@worldnet.att.net)
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:25:23 -0800

Corey Elliott wrote:

> My brother and I are newbies in the Military Vehicle obsession. We bought
> a frame for parts and found out, from the serial numbers, it is a WC-8,
> WC-9, or WC-10. I have a question about the rear lug nuts. The lug nuts
> on the front tires are normal. The rear ones have us stumped. They look
> like studs of some kind. It is obvious from the looks of them they were
> designed to hold two tires. They stick out about 2 inches and are threaded
> with a square end. There is only one tire on now. Back to the point. The
> question is: do you have to remove the rear studs/lugs to remove the tire
> or is the tire "pressed" on. It looks to me like the tire is kind-of
> pressed on to the lugs. Maybe we nee some sort of puller to pull of the
> wheel. if the answer to this question is obvious please forgive me. We
> are new to the hobby. Thanks in advance.
>
> Corey Elliott
> Amarillo, Texas, U.S.A.
> strmchsr@fia.net
> Corey

What those are called are "BUDD nuts" that stud you descibed is actually
a lug nut. and is removeable just like any lug nut. It was designed to
put duals on the rear with the addition of the "normal" lug nut. There
is a special lug wrench that came with those WC's one end fits the hex
lug nut, the other end fits the square "BUDD Nut". As I remember there
is a right hand thread and a left hand thread, so don't break a stud
trying to remove them!!! Hope this helps.

Tony Standefer
1944 WILLYS
(former WC-12 owner)