Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: British MV Marking

Re: British MV Marking

john edwards (ozjeep@hutch.com.au)
Thu, 06 Feb 1997 19:00:48 -0800

FIREBASEZ@aol.com wrote:

> My Ferret has a yellow circle with the number 4 in the middle painted on the
> front of the right fender. The left fender has a stcker of the British flag.
>
> What does the number 4 designate?
> I have seen similar markings on other British AFV's. Usually a 4 or 7.
>
> Is the sticker MoD issue, or should the flag be painted on?
> Byron

Bryon,

Early start by the looks of it (03:10).

This type of marking is used for Armoured Formations.

(a) The colour yellow indicates either 2nd Armd Regiment or 2nd Armd
Battalion.

(b) The Circle indicates "C" company or squadron.

(c) The number indicates a platoon, troop or section number of the
Company or Squadron.

That's all for now. Any further queries, please email me.

John Edwards