Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: Fw- FCC Response

Re: Fw- FCC Response

john edwards (ozjeep@hutch.com.au)
Sat, 08 Feb 1997 07:14:48 -0800

Jim Leonard wrote:

> Mail*Link(r) SMTP Fw: FCC Response

> phone
> you
>
> > >===============================
>
> > >The above refers to Access Charge Reform NPRB FCC 96-488, and the FCC is
> > >indeed requesting responses to a proposal of several issues. The
> following
> > >is from
> > >NEWSReport No. DC 96-113ACTION IN DOCKET CASE December 24, 1996:
> > >
> > >COMMISSION INITIATES PROCEEDING TO REFORM INTERSTATE ACCESS CHARGES
> > >
> > >The Commission today commenced a proceeding to reform its system of
> interstate
> > >access charges to make that system compatible with the pro-competitive
> > >deregulatory framework established by the Telecommunications Act of
> > >1996.The Commission stated that the fundamental changes in the structure
> > >and dynamics of the telecommunications industry required by the 1996 Act
> > >now necessitate a review of the existing access charge regulations to
> > >ensure that they are compatible with the 1996 Act's far-reaching
> changes. .
> > >.
> > >
> > >In the NPRM released today, the Commission tentatively concluded that
> > >information service providers should not be subject to interstate access
> > >charges as currently constituted. The Commission recognized, however,
> that
> > >the development of the Internet and other information services raises
> many
> > >critical questions that go beyond the interstate access charges that are
> > >the primary focus of the NPRM. . .
> > >
> > >This entire news release can be found at
> http://ftp.fcc.gov/telecom.html
> > >
> > >The NPRM is at:
> >
> >http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/News_Releases/1996/nrcc6088.txt
> > >
> > >You can also download public comments from the FCC Homepage at:
> > >http://ftp.fcc.gov/
> > >
> > >Interestingly, when I checked the site all of the electronically filed
> > >comments were from telephone companies.
> > >

> ------------------ RFC822 Header Follows ------------------
> From: "Frank Huggins" <fhuggins@mindspring.com>
> To: "Tom Love" <tomlove@atl.mindspring.com>, "Tom DeBray" <k4krj@aol.com>,
> "Steve Reynolds" <sreynolds@nextel.com>,
> "Todd Hedenstrom" <toddh@drahthaar.com>,
> "Sue Kascher" <skascher@america.net>,
> "Shawn Murray" <shawn.murray@prudential.com>,
> "Stan Lumsden" <pyebarker@aol.com>, "Stan Freeman"
> <skfreeman@att.com>,
> "Stan Burris" <sburris@daccess.net>,
> "Scott Huggins" <shuggins@borg.mindspring.com>,
> "Sam Lambert" <slambert@atlanta.com>,
> "Ron Moody" <ronmoody@atl.mindspring.com>,
> "Ron Jones" <rej69@ix.netcom.com>,
> "Ron Garrett" <garrettr@mindspring.com>,
> "Ron Burch" <SDIBurch@aol.com>,
> "Rick Collins" <richard.collins@prudential.com>,
> "Ray Lewis" <rlewissr@aol.com>,
> "Paul Simpson" <simp@atl.mindspring.com>,
> "Pam Ruff" <pbrngolf@aol.com>, "Neal Bowser" <nbowser@mindspring.com>,
> "Marsh Goldberg" <Herdsire@aol.com>,
> [...]

John (from Australia)

I don't want to be alarmist guys, but in todays press (8th Feb 1997) our
Telecom provider is to attempting to do the same here. New World Order,
huh!

Just be aware folks that here in Australia, this may not be legal, but
one of us, probably Australia, will be trialed for monitoring of all
telephone traffic. It is illegal in Aust to monitor a telephone line
without Court or Police approval. The telecom provider will have to know
what you are transmitting to bill you. I've got nothing to hide, but it
really peeves me to see it being put through by stealth.

If they try it here, I'm sure most net users will pull the plug. Killing
the golden goose.

Thanks for the info Jim.

John E.