Military Vehicles, February 1997,: RE: Combat rims

RE: Combat rims

Gerry Davison (gerry@login.dknet.dk)
Sun, 9 Feb 1997 08:34:07 +0100 (MET)

In message Sat, 8 Feb 1997 17:43:23 -0600, chrispho@wave.park.wy.us writes:

> The last time I put new tires on my Dodge the garage tried to
> balance them and it would have taken over 16 oz. to get close (that was
> the least amout of weight out of the three combat rims that I had at that
> time). Is this a normal situation with combat rims. What is the
> recomended procedure to get them balanced or is this just not something to
> worry about?

Hi

I guess this is normal. I had my Dodge combat rims balanced last summer, and
this friend of mine, who owns the shop where it was done, exclaimed that
he had never had such problems balancing 'small' wheels (he does trucks)
like this before. I guess that apart from the amount of lead needed, the
shape of the rim was also a problem. Still, after balancing (he had to
borrow some weights from a Unimog) there has been considerable less road
noise and vibration - so I'd go ahead with getting your last two balanced.

Regards
Gerry Davison