Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: MB engine seized

Re: MB engine seized

dunlops@racotek.com
Mon, 10 Feb 97 09:54:24

Craig,

That's a sad story. I know I'll start watching the oil gauges on all
my stuff a little more closely than I have been, just hearing this.

I'd guess that one of the bearings siezed, not the pistons.

I have seen photos of engines torn down after being run starved of
oil. You'll probably be looking at scored cylinders, scored crank
bearings, scored crankshaft, and maybe some camshaft damage. In any
event, a full teardown and rebuild. You may end up replacing the
crankshaft.

You're lucky that it didn't throw a rod. It might have if you had
been running it at higher RPMs when it seized.

I had the engine in my CJ-2A (which is the same as an MB engine in
everything except the details, timing gears instead of chain and so
forth) rebuilt several years ago for $1,700 but this included several
items such as fuel pump, water pump, plug wires, coolant hoses, and
motor mounts. Also I had the shop remove and replace the engine. I
probably could have found a better price if I pulled the engine myself
and took it to a machine shop. That rebuild did include overboring
the cylinders, grinding the crank, and new pistons.

-Steve Dunlop