Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: oil on MB engine

Re: oil on MB engine

Brian Sturgis (sturgis@hpel.cees.edu)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:25:27 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Tony Standefer wrote:

> I have a peculiar problem on my MB. There is always a small amount of
> oil on the air-cleaner crossover tube bracket. I've cleaned it off and
> it still reappears. I have the late type dip-stick with the
> recirculation tube on it. Is the vacuum of the carb sucking oil from
> the dipstick or maybe its sucking oil out of the oilbath air filter. I
> drained the air filter and it still shows up. Any ideas?
>
> tony Standefer

Tony,
This sounds a lot like a problem that I have run into over the
years. I think that you have excess base pressure which forces oil out of
the base and up into the air filter. This is usually cused by worn out
piston rings. If you pull a compression test on each of the cylinders you
should be able to find out if your rings are in bad shape. I don't know
off hand what the compression specs are for that particular engine. Hope
this helps.

Brian