Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: Looking for commo shelter for Dodge 880-series

Re: Looking for commo shelter for Dodge 880-series

jhlang@Sourcecom.Com
Tue, 25 Feb 97 10:38:09 PST

The designation you need is an M-884. This is the truck that has the
heavy suspension and overload springs ( wish I had them). I have an
M-882 with an S-250/G shelter in the bed. You REALLY need the
overload springs. Make sure that it has the 24V dc generator in the
engine compartmentwith the battery shelf and the cabling to the
shelter AND the connector. If it has the 100A generator (some do,
some don't) then it should have a regulator mounted on the fenderwell
on the driver's side.

If he can get one that was originally an AN/GRC-122(*) or
AN/GRC-142(*) it would be a better match. I got a AN/TRC-113 and the
power entrance box is on the tailgate end. Makes it a litte
difficult. Price should be around $350-400 for a so-so unit, and
$500-700 for really good units. Sorry, I don't have any sources on
the east coast mine are all out here on the west. Make sure to put
down a 2x4 frame under the shelter, so when its tied down there is
something to compress. Otherwise the shelter will grind away on the
bottom and possibly through the bed.

A nice add-on would be a generator trailer. I have an AN/MJQ-32 which
is two 3Kw gens on a 1/4 ton trailer. He could use a PU-620 and a few
others that don't come to mind right now.

By the way, is this guy who's selling this stuff a dealer? Can you
put me in touch with him, ie name, phone number? I am looking for the
ignition suppression kit and the shelter tiedown kit for this truck
and also the OVERLOAD SPRINGS! If he has them, I'm interested in
buying them.

If you need sources on the west coast, I can supply some. Just let me
know.

I am also a ham, and I use this equip with my Reserve unit in
california during state emergencies. It sure comes in handy.

Regards,

Jared