Military Vehicles, February 1997,: Re: leaking DUKWS

Re: leaking DUKWS

Hank LaBarbara (dukw@starnetinc.com)
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 19:20:37 -0500

At 10:39 PM 2/25/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I wonder is there anyone, who has a DUKW that doesn't leak in the
>water?? Most DUKW-owners I talked to, admitted that their DUKW does
>leak, and some say their DUKW stays completely dry, although I never
>saw any of the "dry" DUKWS in the water. My DUKW does leak a bit,
> <<<<<Snip>>>>>>> Remainder of message removed....

I have 2 DUKWS and both are bone dry. I do have the prop packing nut
adjusted so you get 1 drop every minute or so while it's rotating for
cooling purposes as outlined it the manual. But I have left them anchored
in the lake for most of the day and have no water in either of them. It
took a while to get them to that point, what you have to do is go into the
water with the floor boards removed, have several people with crayons
circle where the leaks are. You have about 30 seconds to do this because
once the floor is wet you can't tell where the leaks are. You then just
weld them up. The hard part is when you get leaks under the cross ribs.
Then you have to cut out part of the rib to make the repair.

Hank LaBarbara
Skokie, IL
dukw@starnetinc.com

Visit my home page at: