Military Vehicles, February 1997,: re: Legality of military markings on historic vehicles

re: Legality of military markings on historic vehicles

Michael Meister (mike@agen.tamu.edu)
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:45:08 -0600 (CST)

Yes that is correct. In 1995, I believe, a few members of the Lone Star
Chapter of MVPA (Austin, TX area) submitted language to the legislature
that would allow the USA reg. number on the hood to serve as a "license
plate" instead of buying antique plates. I believe you still have to go
through the same process of registration, but you don't have "unoriginal"
plates on the vehicle. Of course you have to meet certain criteria about
vehicle use, but I don't know what that is, offhand.

Mike

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Sean Bathrick wrote:

> Form: Reply
> Text: (8 lines follow)
> I think I remember some months back, someone stating that an individual had
> petitioned the state of Texas about the use of the USA number on the hood,
> as the license number, verses having to put an actual plate on his vehicle.
> Does this ring a bell with anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean
> bathrick@sandiego.hcg.com
> Original text: (16 lines follow)
> From mail@IH (Lee Ethridge){LeeEthridge@msn.com}, on 2/27/97 4:00 PM:
>
> I'm sorry I don't know this already.
>
> My Father-In-Law's '42(?) GPW has full military markings. Does that make it
>
> illegal for street use in the U.S.?
>
> It's passed Texas state inspection, and has civilian license plates.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gotta go,
> Lee

> Previous From: mail@IH (Lee Ethridge){LeeEthridge@msn.com}
> Previous To: mail@IH (Military Vehicles){mil-veh@skylee.com}
> Original to: mail@IH (Military Vehicles){mil-veh@skylee.com}
> Attachment Count: 0
>
> //BEGIN BINARY MAIL SEGMENT:
> begin 644 *beyond*
> M0F5Y;VYD(%!A8VME9"!!='1R:6)U=&5S`([]"!<S"@``````0F5Y;VYD(%!R
> M;W!R:65T87)Y($1A=&$:`````!$```````0`#0!P`0``````````````````
> M````````3W)I9VEN86P@=&5X=#X!1@H`````````````7@$#`#X!6`$"``(`
> M```/``(``0`!`$8``````````@!'`/@`````````./\```````"0`0``````
> M````35,@4V%N<R!397)I9@``````````````````````````````./\`````
> M``"0`0``````````0V]U<FEE<@``````````````````````````````````
> M`````0`!`$<``@!'`/=_`@!(`/=_`@!M`/=_`@!N`/=_`@"\`/=_`@#@`/=_
> M`@#A`/=_`@`F`?=_`@`G`?=_`@`O`?=_`@`P`?=_`@`Z`?=_`@`^`?=_`@`_
> M`?=_````````````````9``!I`$!2`,![`0!D`8!-`@!V`D!?`L!(`T!Q`X!
> M:!`!#!(!L!,!5!4!^!8```````````````!D``'@`0'``P&@!0&`!P%@"0%`
> M"P$@#0$`#P'@$`'`$@&@%`&`%@%@&`%`&@``$0``````!``$`+L`````````
> M``````````````````!497AT+@%);0````````````"I``,`+@&B``$``0``
> M``4``0`!``$`+@$````````0_P```````)`!``````````!097)P971U80``
> M```````````````````````````````````!``$`!P$!``@!"`$!``D!$`$!
> M`!$!%0$!`!8!+P$```````````````!D``%H`0'0`@$X!`&@!0$(!P%P"`'8
> 9"0%`"P&H#`$0#@%X#P'@$`%($@&P$P8`````
> `
> end
> //END BINARY MAIL SEGMENT
>
> --Message-Boundary-0000--

Michael Meister "Give me an army of West Point
Class of 1997 (WHOOP!) graduates and I'll win a battle;
Department of Agricultural Engineering Give me a handful of Texas
Texas A&M University Aggies and I'll win a war."
College Station, Texas
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
http://www.agen.tamu.edu/~mike
mike@agen.tamu.edu